Friday 1 February 2013

How To Plan At The Beginning Of A Renovation (...The Horrors Of The 'Before-Dining-Room'!)

Hello sweetie pips,

Do you know what I think? 
I think I need to take a step back from all my dining-room over-excitedness and start from the very beginning. 
{Where else?!}

Here's what we had to work with.


These pictures are from BEFORE we moved in 
so feel free to cast your judging eye quite freely.
;-)

I always try to compile 
a list of what any room has going for it 
BEFORE I start on any making over process.

I struggled to find much in this room but here's my {short} list.

A good size and shape.
The room has quite a substantial feel. It's a definite room in itself, rather than a kitchen add-on.

A fireplace 
This barely got on the nice list because it's currently so ugly but I can see there's loveliness underneath there somewhere....

Storage space under the stairs.
I can NEVER have enough storage. I always think good storage is the secret to a tidy(ish) house with four children.

Good links through to the kitchen.
The last thing I'd want is to be stranded at the back of the house slaving over dinner on my ownsome. Nope, that's not the onions making me cry.

French doors with transom window above.
More orange varnish is hiding a beautiful view.



And then I try to write
a list with what MUST CHANGE
It helps me to focus on what specifically needs to be altered.....

Namely:

All the orange pine. Bleeeugh.
The Eighties border and wallpaper. More Bleurgh.
The light fittings. Ditto.
All original features removed. Sob.


This room doesn't get a huge amount of natural light so I wanted to make it feel airy and bright by day but still warm and lovely in the evenings.

Yes, over the next few weeks, I'll be sharing how we transformed our dining room from the very outset to the finished product. I can't wait to share the full transformation with you!



Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





16 comments :

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Can't wait to see it.

Unknown said...

So excited to see what you come up with C:

I've got the bedroom decor blahs right now and have to get things going really soon.

fourkidsmom said...

Can't wait to see what you've done. Your little girl bedroom was awesome and I'm sure this will be too.

rusty duck said...

Looking forward to this too..

I need some encouragement as I sit here with bits of the sitting room distributed evenly across the rest of the house as far as the eye can see..

Greta said...

I am so so so looking forward to seeing what you did with the space. I love that it has a fireplace and doors with transoms?!?!? Good bones! :)

Entertaining Women said...

Excited to take the journey of your renovation. I love dining rooms! Cherry Kay

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Ah, ah, I love BEFORE pictures! I'm always like "what were they thinking?". My dining-room has only a tiny window and when I bought the house it was dark orange on three walls and dark brown on one with black trim...

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

You have the best before and afters...I love seeing your transformations.
:)
Pat

Ann said...

Can't wait to see the after pics...
I mean after you've put your magic touch... in the meantime enjoy every moment of your renovation.

The Snowdrop Project said...

Hi Sarah,
Can't wait to see what you have got planned.
Though we know it's going to be fab!
Hope you have a lovely weekend,
Liz x

Cindy said...

I look forward to seeing what you do in there to transform it. How is your baby doing? I would love to see photos of her. But I undestand if you don't publish them for the whole world to see. Too precious, I know.
Hugs, Cindy

Anonymous said...

REALLY looking forward to seeing what you've done with this space !!

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
Of course, dear friend, I'll be back for the reveal!!!
We're going backwards instead of forward with the updating in Studio One!!! I just keep on working...hopefully the paint is in now!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Heaven's Walk said...

Hey Sarah! Wow....that French door with the transom really makes that room sooo special! This room definitely has a ton of potential - and I can hardly wait to see how it looks after you wave your magic wand over it, girlie! ♥ Hugs to you!

xoxo laurie

Rachie @ A Chi Chi Affair said...

I cant wait to see - I do love a good transformation! We have so many rooms left to do in our house!! x

VillaVaahtokarkki said...

A room with full of potential --- looking forward to see transformations!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10