Friday 6 August 2010

I started so I'll finish (honest!)...

It's time for a confession. I know I said in my last snuggly cushion post that it would be only a day's pondering to decide how to finish my second snuggly cushion. Well....I'm afraid I didn't pick it up again until yesterday. Actually, that's a lie (to further add to my list of crafting sins!): I had picked it up the odd time, only to sigh and put it right back down again.


I hope I have redeemed myself somewhat, because, yesterday, I (drum roll, if you please)....finished it!

I had a Eureka moment (very much like a blinding flash, I find. ;-) ) and decided that the opening could be the ornamentation (I don't even know if that's a word. But if it's not then it should be!).


I used mother of pearl buttons (do you recognise a theme here at Modern Country Style? Yes, I like mother-of-pearl buttons and I'm proud of it!) to form the closing, at one end. I needed them to be closely spaced so it wouldn't be gappy and show the inner peeking through.

I used two sizes of button in a three-medium-then-one-small repeat kind of pattern. To be honest, that started because I used the wrong sized button on my third go but I kind of liked the variation so kept it up.


Yes, you're right, that was a lot of button sewing! But aren't the buttons pretty with their dull iridescent lustre. What's not to like?!

I sewed each button in the middle of a ribbed row of knitting as the potentially messy back bit was going to show on the outside otherwise. Now, instead, I hope it looks like a neat(ish!) seam from the back:


The two cushions look good together, I think. Matching snuggliness and out of one cardigan too!



A big warm welcome, by the way, to you, especially if you are new to Modern Country Style. Have a good look around and do, please, make yourself right at home.


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





7 comments :

Claire Potter said...

Now, I like this a lot xxx

Elaine said...

Oh I absolutely love it. Those pearly buttons are gorgeous. Great job!

Anonymous said...

"dull iridescent lustre".... what a lovely phrase.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Brandi said...

another great idea! i've seen sweaters turned into vases too! i really love the pillows!

michelle said...

That pillow looks so cozy!!! All your pillows are beautiful!!

. said...

I love it!! And the mother of pearl buttons were the perfect touch!!

Sweater pillows make me want to curl up and take a nap! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10